<

San Jose CharterAcademy

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu

Coronavirus (COVID-19) School Closure Update

UPDATE: 

 
San Jose Charter Academy will be closed until Monday, April 6, 2020. iPad distribution will take place in the iPad Lab (room 402) on Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17 until 6:00 PM. 
 
TK and Kinder packets can be picked up from April 6-10. 
 
 
 
 
SJCA Families,

San Jose Charter Academy has continued to monitor information received from the California Department of Education, Los Angeles County Office of Education, California Department of Public Health and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.  

As we all consider all cautions during this active period of rapidly updated information and developments regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), I wanted to update you of our local decisions.  We are cancelling and/or postponing all large group events effective immediately:
 
Celebration of Learning
  • We are postponing Celebration of Learning to May 14th (5-7p) and 15th (7:45-12:45p), 2020.
 
Student Recognition Assemblies 
  • We are postponing the March assemblies and will consider how we continue to move forward in honoring and recognizing student success, leadership and character.  
    • There are tools we could use to live stream these events and honors, as well as other considerations in how we adjust our traditional formats.
Parent Meetings
  • Meetings will be updated on a case-by-case basis based on the number of attendees and purpose of the meeting.
Musicals
  • Our musicals are April 15 (1st)21 (3rd)23 (4th) and May 26 (6th)
    • We will be working with our music department to identify ways we could fulfill the body of work and share it with the possibility of not being able to host it in the MPR.  More information will be sent to specific grade level families when we have made final decisions. 
8th Grade Trip to Washington DC
  • Mr. Tang and Ms. Lemus continue to speak to BrightSpark staff daily to ensure the most updated information and considerations.
  • We are postponing the trip to late May and currently considering dates for travel.  More information will be sent as we continue our dialogue with BrightSpark Travel,
Field Trips
  • The scheduled field trips include 7th Grade  in late March, Kindergarten and 2nd grade in early April, followed by 1st grade, Spanish Club and Band/Choir in late May.
  • All trips are currently postponed and will be rescheduled for late May.  
  • As many of you know, Disneyland is the annual Band and Choir workshop and field trip.  As of 2p today, Disneyland has closed until the end of the month and so we will keep abreast of updates.
 
We will continue to discuss and explore the knowns and unknowns as well all learn more about the Novel Coronavirus.  We can control the way we keep ourselves heathy, reinforce healthy hygiene habits and keep open lines of open communication within our community.

We encourage you to keep your children home if they are experiencing if they have a fever, cold or flu-like symptoms.  Students should stay home until they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.

Parents have inquired on our process in determining school closures.  This decision will be declared by the Public Health Department.  There are four scenarios that the California Department of Public Health has issued:  
  • Scenario One - Measures already underway to prevent the spread of COVID-19;
  • Scenario Two - Measures to be taken if there are two or more community transmission cases of COVID-19, but no individuals within the school test positive;
  • Scenario Three - Measures to be taken if one student, teacher or staff member tests positive for COVID-19 and exposed others at the school; 
  • Scenario Four - Measures to be taken if multiple schools within a school district have a student, teacher or staff member test positive for COVID-19

The County has issued an update letting us know we are at Scenario Two and want to let you know we have identified protocols and procedures to meet the Scenario Two recommendations: 
  • Teachers and staff with any fever and/or respiratory infection symptoms should not come to work;
  • Limit visitors to school with symptoms of fever and/or respiratory infections OR who have traveled over the course of the last 14 days to an area identified by the CDC as Level 3 Travel Health Notice;
  • Consider alternatives to large group programming such as assemblies;
  • Consider implementing staggered recess times.

We are actively preparing and have a plan for a school closure, should one be necessary.  Our digital platform provides a natural pathway for our students to access using their learning content and teachers using their iPad or laptop allowing us to continue to actively engage with our students.  

The custodial staff is continuing its elevated disinfecting protocols and as such I want to reassure you we are doing all we can to keep our students and staff healthy.
 
We are in a state of rapidly evolving updates as we receive guidance from Governor Newsom, the CDC and federal government.  This is all fluid and we will be making adjustments and continue to communicate with all families as we make adjustments for that are critical to the  SJCA community.  The health and wellness of our students, staff and families remain our top priority.
 


In good health and partnership,


Erin Shiroma
Principal